Thursday, May 5, 2011

True Love

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Love - Webster's Dictionary describes it like this (1) strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests. I personally prefer this definition : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another.
Love is a word that is so easily thrown around. "I love those shoes", "I love chocolate", " I love Stefan Salvatore (Vampire for those not in the know)" Yes I have actually said all three of those sentences, the first two multiple times. But would I give my life for those things? Well some of my friends say that I risk my life every time I wear my stilettos, but that's not what I mean. Chocolate, no, I wouldn't die for chocolate. And a fictional character, no matter how cute the actor, isn't enough to make me offer my life.
There are certain people that I would be willing to die for, my daughter pops into my mind as the topmost person.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
I think of these two scriptures together and a new definition of love comes to my mind, an eternal meaning. The topical guide has as some of it's meanings: compassion, mercy of God. The first scripture talks about laying down ones life for friends. Jesus Christ laid down his life for every single person ever born, or that ever will be born. That means that no one else that has ever lived here loves us more. It also means that He considers all of us his friends. That brings an interesting question to my mind, What kind of friend have we been to Jesus? Have we praised him as we should, or have we talked about him behind his back? Have we offered all that we can for him as we would our other friends? It goes beyond how we treat our friends though. How do we treat strangers? Are we kind, are we charitable to others in "lower" situations? Do we help those who are difficult to love?
Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I look at the two men who love us more than we can comprehend. God gave his son that we might have life more abundantly. Allowing our hearts to love opens us up to pain, as a mom I can tell you that no pain is greater than seeing your child suffer. My heart was torn to shreds recently, my daughter was being bullied at school. I felt angry, somewhat helpless and so much pain to see her little heart being broken. I can't even begin to imagine what our Heavenly Father went through as he watched His Beloved and Perfect Son go through all He went through so that we could be saved. Even knowing what must happen I am certain that God wasn't fully prepared for the pain He would feel at watching his children hurt and kill his Only Begotten. I am grateful to both of them for going through what they went through, for showing me what true love looks like.
I strive to love others that way, I know I fail, I am not perfect, but fortunately I have a forgiving Savior who helps me back onto the path of true discipleship, the path of true love. I try to remember that the people that are hard to love are still children of our Heavenly Father, that Jesus died for them just as He died for me.

I invite you to accept this gift of Love that Christ has offered to us. Learn of Him, for He is mighty to save. If you don't know how or where to start just ask me, I would be more than happy to help you.

John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

No comments:

Post a Comment