Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Greetings from my daughter

I work in a non-profit agency. I love where I work and what I do. There are some things however that drive me nuts. We are so concerned about being "diversified" and not offending anyone that we are constantly censoring ourselves. We can't say merry Christmas for fear of offending those that don't believe in Christ. We can't say happy holidays for fear of offending those that don't celebrate any kind of holiday. So much tip toeing about and not speaking our minds for fear. I was at a work party, a white elephant gift exchange. People whispering Merry Christmas to others. I had to go to Target that evening with my daughter. As we were walking in we passed by three ladies. Sofia smiled at them and said cheerfully "Merry Christmas." My brain still in work mode had a minor panic attack as I tried to think of how to explain to her that you don't say that to people you don't know because they might react badly. As I was trying to find a way to gently let her down the ladies turned and smiled at her and said Merry Christmas, and then went on to talk amongst themselves about how sweet that was. As we walked down the aisles the response was the same every time. A slight startle, then a grin and Merry Christmas said back to her. As we went along, my nerves calmed down and I started to enjoy the pleasantly startled reactions of the people she wished Merry Christmas to. She had a few people that didn't respond at all, but since they didn't flinch or react in any way I told her they most likely didn't hear her. By the time we left the store there were many people smiling as they went about their shopping, being reminded by a cheerful little girl about why they were in the store in the first place. It also helped remind me that we need to not worry about what others will think of us.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. When we agree to take on His name we agree to accept the ridicule of the world, for the world does not truly see. I am grateful for a daughter who lives her life as a shining example of what not being ashamed looks like. We need to live our lives as fearless as children do. My daughter knows that this is the time to celebrate the birth of our Lord. She cheerily greets anyone who happens to pass her, spreading her infectious joy along the way. So following my daughters example I want to wish anyone within the sight of my blog the merriest of Christmas's. May the true meaning of the season enter into your hearts and homes this year. May God's choicest blessings be yours this season and in the coming year.
With much love for you all
~Kiersten.

No comments:

Post a Comment