Thursday, March 24, 2011

Borrowed Light

The other night I was going with the missionaries to different houses to talk to people. I met them at the first house and the next houses were within walking distance. The last house, however was a little bit further away and so we drove. Since I didn't know where the house was I followed behind them. They were parked behind me, so they started their car and turned on the headlights. As they passed me I pulled out and followed them. We rounded one corner and were approaching another one when Elder Bittner started flashing his high beams. For a moment I was confused, then I realized that their headlights were rather bright, and once I had turned on my car and put my seat belt on I saw their light reflected in the car bumper in front of me and therefore my brain computed it as my car having it's lights on. In reality I had not even turned my headlights on. I was traveling in their light and as they looked to see if I was following them they noticed that I had not turned mine on. I later told them I was in stealth mode, but it got me thinking... How frequently do we travel along, relying on someone else's light instead trying to get a testimony for ourselves? How frequently do we go along with popular ideology instead of seeking the answers ourselves?
No some people might ask, what is wrong with just going along. Now the dangers inherent in that were very obvious to me that night. As the Elders turned the corner I was engulfed in darkness, it was brief as I had caught the meaning of the flashing lights. However if they hadn't looked behind them I wouldn't have had any warning of the impending darkness. I thought of the Disney movie Cars. Once Lightning was separated from Mac he was lost in the dark and ended up somewhere he didn't want to be. He ended up in the movies version of jail. When we don't actively seek out the path, or to put oil in our lamps, we are allowing something or someone else to decide where we end up. We accept things as being ok when they are in reality against an eternal law and bring darkness into our lives. They can even lead us to being imprisoned. I have had friends and co-workers ask me why I believe the things I believe, especially when it goes against popular society. I have been called ignorant and confused for believing in God when an "enlightened" society "knows" he is a myth. My answer is actually quite simple, I followed someone else and ended up in the darkness, it was painful and sad. God used other people to shine a light on me until I had enough faith to store up my own light. I know that God knows who I am and that He loves me. Now I shine my light for others who have lost their way. And while my light is my testimony and my beliefs it is actually a reflection of the Light from that God who saved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment