Thursday, April 7, 2011

Why I love being a woman in the LDS church

So I was reading a blog by a woman who is proud of her feminist stance and very critical of the view the church has on women. I felt sorry for her and her bitter attitude. I also felt the need to say that I love being a woman in the church.
We just had an amazing church wide General Conference in which many talks were about the family, parenting and womanhood. I was especially touched by Richard G Scott's tribute to his wife. The entire time I felt the love of the Lord and what a wonderful thing it is to be a woman. In a world where women are disrespected and objectified it was really wonderful to be able to hear good things said about womanhood and femininity. I am a woman, not just female, my friends would go as far as to say that I am girly. Ever since I was a young girl I wanted to be a mom, more than anything. As I watched other peoples kids and felt the love and joy involved in that I knew I wanted to be a wife and mother when I grew up. Feminists would tell me that we are now in the 21st century and that I don't have to be tied down to that old fashioned view of women. I can be whatever I want to be. However when I try to assert my honest desire to be a wife and mother they tell me that I am throwing women back into the dark ages. They say I can be whatever I want, just not a wife and mother.
The bible is full of stories of great women who chose to be mothers, they did other amazing things too.
Eve - The mother of all living, the first to realize that as beautiful as the garden was there would be no personal or spiritual growth. Made from the side of man, to be his equal partner, to be equally yoked and to work together.
Noah's wife - Now we don't know her name, but she had to put up with her husband building this huge boat in her front yard and all the animals. She must have been faithful, righteous and amazing. I mean the Lord doesn't pick just anyone to be the second mother of the earth.
Sarah - Abraham's wife, changing diapers at 90 years old isn't a lot of fun, not to mention the pregnancy that preceded those diapers.
Jael - MOST AWESOME WOMAN EVER!!!! Seriously, she led the leader of the enemy army into her tent and then killed him with the tent stake. Can you say girl power?
Hannah - mother of the boy prophet Samuel, she waited for years to have a child and then turned around and gave him right back to God. That is truly paying tithes of the first fruits.
Mary - mother of Jesus, do I really need to say more.
The woman at the well and the woman who bathed the Saviors feet with her tears were pretty awesome too!
The book of mormon has equally valiant women
Sariah, Abish, the women of Anti-Nephi-Lehi, the wife of King Lamoni. Nephi's wife stands out to me a lot, she stood by her husband and stood up to her brothers and brother-in-laws when they were being wicked. She gave birth to kids in a desert caravan!
What great examples I have to look to! Now today's society would tell you that women are equal to men and should be treated the same. Now I partly agree. Women are equal, and should be treated with the same respect. But we are NOT the same!
Now really, when you are doing a project with a group of people, the best way to maximize the talents and time of the people involved is to have different people doing different things. To ease confusion these type of groups will usually choose a project leader. It would be a waste of time to have all the people doing the exact same thing, so why does society take something that is done on a daily basis in the work place and say that it is inappropriate for the home life.
I am smaller than most of the men I know, and not as physically strong. I know there are some women who are physically strong and that's good for them, but if I have to go into a scary situation, I would rather have a tall man at my side. When I am having a crappy day, I want my girlfriends and chocolate. Each gender is good for different reasons. I am glad that we are not all the same, how boring would that be?

I love being in a church that celebrates womanhood and femininity. I mean seriously, those of you that know me, I have child bearing hips. lol What else am I supposed to do with them? Well salsa dance yeah, but it is not a shameful thing to want to be a mom. When I get married I want to stay home and raise my family. That may be old fashioned, but I don't see any evidence that the new fashioned way of doing things has made life better. Broken families, abortion and crime run rampant in the new fashioned world.
Give me a good man at my side, not  ahead of me and not behind, but beside me and I will take that over any corporate CEO position any day.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints values and cherishes women. The leaders showed their love this past weekend. It is a safe place to be a mom and a wife. They also spoke to single moms (like me) and reminded us that we are just as important to God. That the lack of a husband does not make us less of women. Hearing those words from a prophet of the Lord reaffirmed my faith, in God, in men and in mankind. I am a woman, and proud to be one. I am a mom and will one day be a wife, and I am not ashamed of that!!

4 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply brilliant! Thank you for being who you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell across your blog and I am so glad that I did. What a beautiful post about women!! I too love being a woman in the church. I echo all of what you said, but could never had put into words how I feel like you have done. Thank you for your post! I hope you don't mind if I stop in again and read your posts! So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete