Monday, November 8, 2010

Enduring to the End

So I was reading in the Book of Mormon. The account of Lehi's dream. I have heard that story many times in my life but this time a particular verse stood out to me more than ever before.

1 Nephi 8: 6-12
4 ...For behold, methought I saw in my dream, a dark and dreary wilderness.
  5 And it came to pass that I saw a man, and he was dressed in a white robe; and he came and stood before me.
  6 And it came to pass that he spake unto me, and bade me follow him.
  7 And it came to pass that as I followed him I beheld myself that I was in a dark and dreary waste.
  8 And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies.
  9 And it came to pass after I had prayed unto the Lord I beheld a large and spacious field.
  10 And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.
  11 And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.
  12 And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.
 
So every other time I had heard the story I was thinking about the fruit, which represents the love of God. I always thought how wonderful it would be to get that, and all you have to do is follow the Savior. So this time, a different verse popped out to me. I have been having personal struggles lately. Being a single parent is not easy. My daughter is 6 going on 17 at times. Lately I had been wondering if it all was really worth it, following the Lord and trying to do the best I can. I would ask "If we are promised good things for following the Lord, why can't I even get ahead? I am trying to raise my daughter right, why am I being left to flounder?" As I read this account a little sentence stood out to me.
Verse 8 And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness... wow, what a revelation at that moment. Even after we choose to follow the Lord we have to walk in darkness, partly to get us out of the place we put ourselves in by not following. The Lord will show us the path to walk but He will not teleport us out. It is by traveling for those "many hours" that we come to trust and rely on the Lord. If it came easily like being teleported out, I don't think we would appreciate it as much. We value more what we put our time into. When you work for something, you have more care for it once you have it.
Enduring to the end, it's not an easy thing. We do have to pass through moments of darkness, moments of dreariness. We have to endure the scorn of the world for Christ's sake. But at the end of those many hours is happiness beyond description. A joy that you want to share with your family. A love that is worth more than any worldly treasure. That is something I hope that my daughter learns from watching me. The journey is hard, and at times it may not seem worth it, but the Lord will always give us an opportunity to see what we are heading for, like He did for me with an old familiar story.
 
Webster's defines Endure as: to undergo (as a hardship) especially without giving in: suffer
2: to regard with acceptance or tolerance
 
The Topical guide has a more positive outlook on the word "endure"
Endure see also Commitment; Courage; Dedication; Dependability; Diligence;  Faithfulness; Integrity; Loyalty; Obedience; Perseverance: Steadfast 
 
Enduring to the end has a slightly different connotation when you use those definitions. Be faithful, loyal, dedicated, dependable to the end. I think I can do that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment